Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Teeth and the Gospel

Lately the Lord has been very present in my thoughts.  It's been empowering and convicting.  After having my teeth cleaned yesterday, I received a word from Him.  Mind you this was the first time I had had a cleaning in 12 or more years.  My family didn't have health care or extra money to spend on my teeth while I was growing up.  My dad did manage a work deal to cover my braces but that is a story for another day.

As I leaned back in the examination chair, the dental hygeniest told me that I had a lot of build up behind my bottom and top front teeth.  She followed that statement with the following questions: Are you a mouth breather at night?  Have you smoked?   You'd have to ask my husband, and no.  She sat there chizeling away at the gunk on my bottom teeth for the better half of an hour.  We didn't have time to do the top teeth.  When the dentist came in, he said I had almost perfect teeth.  Mostly straight, minimal stains, no cavivites.  However, once the appointment was over I ran my tongue along my bottom front teeth and discovered gaps I did not know existed.  I was almost beginning to feel self-concious about them when the Lord whispered, "This is what clean is.  It's supposed to feel different."

I then had a mental image overflow of what problems I could have with my teeth: crowding, staining, cavities, abcesses, plaque build-up, gingivitis, etc.  I am lucky that I didn't need to have the fixes required to correct those problems. 

In my life, God came in and fixed the guck but left traces of His presence in my life.  Just like the gap in my bottom front teeth.  As believers, we're supposed to be vulerable in order to tell others about the amazing love and grace that flows from Jesus. 

It was more than just a visit to the dentist ...

No comments:

Post a Comment